Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How I got a new homeserver using FreeBSD and Zotac ZBOX

I really needed a new homeserver where I can run some apache, mysql, php and git for development purpose. Ive long searched but stumbled on a Zotac ZBOX.

I had to add a disk (160GB, 2.5") and some memory (2GB). The Zotac costed 2000 SEK, all together it rounded up to a bit more than 3000SEK. More than reasonable for a home server.

I installed FreeBSD, minimal configuration. It all went fine besides some trouble getting into the BIOS. But with some help from the online support of Zotac it worked out. Great support, by the way, looked like IRC. To get into the BIOS I had to press the delete button at the same time as a light flashed at the computer. Strange, but it worked out.

Ready to rock. My own homeserver in the library, right by the books. Only connected to the powercord and the internet. Thats all that is needed.
From Installera hemmaserver i bokhyllan, Zotac Zbox med FreeBSD

And here is the server to be replaced (the white one)... some change or?

From Homeserver using Zotac Zbox and FreeBSD

You can see the pictures from the installation and setup procedure here.
Installera hemmaserver i bokhyllan, Zotac Zbox med FreeBSD

No comments:

Post a Comment